Sealing Juvenile Records in Los Angeles

Probation Department’s and the Effects of Juvenile Criminal Disposition

After arraignment, the court will instruct the parents and the juvenile to report to probation.   There are several probation departments throughout Los Angeles County.  For instance, one of them is located at Pasadena Courthouse at 300 East Walnut Street, Suite #200, in Pasadena, CA 91101.  The Pasadena probation office is located on the second floor; the juvenile and his or her parents need to meet with a Deputy Probation Officer who will write a report for the court.  The probation officer’s report will include the reason for the hearing and recommendation.   The probation officer’s report will be given to the court with recommendations and information that include the minor’s academic progress, counseling services, parenting classes, community service, financial situation, restitution and supervision.

At the meeting, the minor is entitled to be present with his or her attorney.  The probation officer will require the parents to bring school grades and personal information (residency, driver’s license of the parents, and birth certificate). Since Juvenile cases are decided by a judge, this report is very important.  You need an experienced attorney to assist the minor to show good conduct and reform separate and apart from the allege facts of the incident. The probation department may recommend Welfare and Institution Code 602 Home on Probation or Deferred Entry of Judgment effecting the outcome of the case.

Sealing Criminal Record – Welfare and Institutions Code 782 and 786

After the proceedings have been terminated, in certain instances, a juvenile has the right to petition the court to destroy the entire arrest record and seal all findings and the disposition of the case. If the court finds that you have satisfactorily completed either an informal program as provided for under Welfare and Institutions Code 654.2 or successfully completed the terms of the probation under Welfare and Institutions Code section 725 and the admission is not to an offense enumerated under Welfare and Institutions Code 707(b), then the court may order to seal and dismiss the juvenile file.  The disposition of the case will determine whether the juvenile will be entitled to seal the case.  Therefore, it is crucial to hire a criminal defense attorney who understands juvenile proceedings and advocates so that the client is able to completely seal the record and the arrest at the end of the case.  An admission made for an offense under Welfare and Institutions Code 707(b), will forever prevent the juvenile from sealing his or her record.  Arthur Khachatourians is an experienced attorney that has successfully represented juveniles charged with serious crimes.  Mr. Khachatourians understands the juvenile court proceedings and is able to navigate through the system to afford the best possible outcome for his clients.

Sealing Juvenile Records by Filing a Petition – Welfare and Institutions Code 389 and 781

A person may petition the Juvenile Court to seal his or her juvenile court record and records in the custody of other agencies, including law enforcement agencies and public officials, in any of the following circumstances:

  1. At any time after the minor reaches the age of 18;
  2. Five years or more after the jurisdiction of the juvenile court has terminated; or
  3. Five years or more after the citation to appear date or where no citation issued where the minor was taken to a probation officer or a law enforcement agency and no petition was filed with the juvenile court.

If the admission of the petition is one that does not fall in the crimes enumerated under Welfare and Institutions Code 707(b), the defendant should be able to seal his or her record.

Courthouses that Seal Juvenile Records

The Khachatourians Law Group represents juveniles throughout Los Angeles County.  If there is a pending case against your child, call Attorney Arthur Khachatourians at 818-590-8294 for a defense consultation.

Alfred J. McCourtney Juvenile Justice Center 1040 W. Avenue J, Lancaster, CA 93534

Children’s Court, 201 Centre Plaza Dr., Monterey Park, CA 91754

Compton Juvenile Court, 200 West Compton Blvd., Compton, CA 90033

David V. Kenyon Juvenile Justice Center, 7625 South Central Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90001

Eastlake Juvenile Court (Delinquency), 1601 Eastlake Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90033

Inglewood Juvenile Courthouse (Delinquency), 110 Regent Street, Inglewood, CA 90301

Long Beach Juvenile Court, 275 Magnolia Ave., Long Beach, CA 90802

Los Padrinos Juvenile Courthouse (Delinquency), 7281 East Quill Drive, Downey, CA 90242

Pomona Courthouse South, 400 Civic Center Plaza, Pomona, CA 91766

Sylmar Juvenile Courthouse (Delinquency), 16350 Filbert Street, Sylmar, CA 91342

Call the Khachatourians Law Group  to seal you juvenile record – 818-590-8294.